Saran Shrimp (Saron marmoratus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Alternative names[edit | edit source]
- Saran Shrimp, Common Marble Shrimp, Long-Armed Marble Shrimp
Sexing[edit | edit source]
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful shrimp that should not kept that anything that may bully or eat it.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- These shrimp are filter feeders and will accept a range of foods including brine shrimp, plankton, dried foods and small pieces of fish.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once a day, best fed at night.
Environment Specifics[edit | edit source]
- Requires a mature and stable tank with plenty of safe caves and hiding places. It is intolerant of high nitrates and copper.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful nocturnal shrimp, will be more active during the day once established in a tank.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- During the day it is brown with green spots. These green spots will have variable amounts of white speckling. The legs have darker brown bands on a brown background with alternating white speckled bands. Tufts of cirri (feathery appendages) are found decorating the back of the males, and their first pair of walking legs are elongated. At night he colour of its body turns primarily red, which helps it blend into the shadows of the twilight.