Horned Bannerfish (Heniochus varius)
From The Aquarium Wiki
284 Litres (75 US G.)
16-19 cm (6.3-7.5")
8.2 - 8.5
23 -25 °C (73.4-77°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Horned Bannerfish, Hunchbacked Coralfish, Heniochus Brown Butterflyfish
Additional scientific names
- Taurichthys varius, Taurichthys bleekeri, Taurichthys viridis
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Pacific Ocean: Indonesia to the Society Islands, north to southern Japan, south to Rowley Shoals and New Caledonia; throughout Micronesia.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- It is not possible to visually sex this fish.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Peaceful, unless housed with its own kind in limited space. Keep an eye on it when housing it with corals and small invertebrates.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Carnivorous, should accept Mysid shrimp or Clams.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Daily, 3 times is recommended due to their active nature and high metabolism.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Peaceful, but may fight its own kind in small spaces.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A striking angular fish, it has a very tall dorsal fin. The bottom half of the fish is black, fading to yellow then white towards the top of the fish with two white bands running from caudal peduncle and breast to each end of spinous section of dorsal fin. Adults develop a prominent hump on the forehead and a curved horn above each eye, and lose the elongate dorsal filament.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )