Sand Sifting Sea Star (Archaster typicus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Sand Sifting Sea Star
757 Litres (200 US G.)
25.4-30.5cm (10-12 ")
8.1 - 8.4
22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
Alternative names[edit | edit source]
- Sand Sifting Sea Star
Synonyms[edit | edit source]
- Astropecten polycanthus
Sexing[edit | edit source]
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- The Sand Sifting Sea Star is reef compatible.
Diet[edit | edit source]
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Archaster typicus feeds by sifting through substrate. If there's not enough food it will starve, an unfortunately common occurrence in captivity.
Environment Specifics[edit | edit source]
- This starfish must have a soft substrate. In the wild it will sift through both sand and mud looking for food.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Will sift through substrate looking for food.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Dorsal side is medium grey with dark spots. Ventral side is white to cream in colour. Tube feet are transparent.