Sand Sifting Sea Star (Archaster typicus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Revision as of 02:51, 8 August 2011 by PsiProBot (clean up, replaced: food_live = 1 → food_live = Yes, food_other = 1 → food_other = Yes)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Sand Sifting Sea Star
757 Litres (200 US G.)
25.4-30.5cm (10-12 ")
8.1 - 8.4
22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
Alternative names[edit | edit source]
- Sand Sifting Sea Star
Synonyms[edit | edit source]
- Astropecten polycanthus
Sexing[edit | edit source]
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- The Sand Sifting Sea Star is reef compatible.
Diet[edit | edit source]
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Archaster typicus feeds by sifting through substrate. If there's not enough food it will starve, an unfortunately common occurrence in captivity.
Environment Specifics[edit | edit source]
- This starfish must have a soft substrate. In the wild it will sift through both sand and mud looking for food.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Will sift through substrate looking for food.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Dorsal side is medium grey with dark spots. Ventral side is white to cream in colour. Tube feet are transparent.