Zebra Nerite Snail (Nerita natalensis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Zebra Nerite Snail)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Zebra Nerite Snail
19 Litres (5 US G.)
1.3-2.5cm (0.5-1 ")
1 - 1.010
7.2 - 8.5
298.706 K22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
- Zebra Nerite Snail, Tiger Nerite Snail, Batik Nerite Snail
- A-Sexual or Hermaphroditic. (Able to reproduce alone)
- Will not reproduce in freshwater, brackish only, but will make lots of small white eggs on roots and stones.
- A peaceful snail, will not bother tank inhabitants. However, should not be kept with aggressive fish that may attack it such as Loaches or Pufferfish.
- This snail is a great algae eater. Generally will not touch plants and will eat most types of algae. If no algae is present the snail will have to be supplemented with blanched vegetables and algae wafers.
- Will constantly graze in it's environment.
- Needs a spacious well oxygenated tank with plenty of algae to eat. If put in a new tank with no algae present and not supplemented, it can starve. A tight fitting lid is a must as these snails can be escape artists.
- An attractive snail that will not multiply. They may lay eggs however, but they will not hatch, young need brackish conditions and are difficult to rear in captivity.
- A pretty rounded shell with a deep yellow base colour and dark brown stripes running down it towards the spire.