Crystalwort (Riccia fluitans)
From The Aquarium Wiki
5 - 8
2.5 cm (1")
5 cm (2")
- Riccia Moss, Liverwort, Crystalwort
- A clumping floating plant that is actually composed of hundreds of tiny plants interlinked.
- Available since the 1970s it was made popular by a series of books by Japanese aquarist Takashi Amano.
- This plant can be used as a thick mat of floating plant for shelter for surface nest builders like the Dwarf Gourami.
- It can be wrapped around a weight with fishing line and submerged to make an attractive foreground plant. If there is enough light, this plant will develop attractive pearling.
- It can also be used to line the edges of ornaments which protrude above the water line. It will attach itself to the object and grow into the water.
- Adds lots of oxygen to the water.
- To show it off at its best add CO2 to your tank.
Riccia under water (c) Tropica http://www.tropica.com/