Silver Pacu (Piaractus brachypomus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
1,324,894.123 mL 1324.9 Litres (350 US G.)
34.646 in 80-88 cm (31.5-34.6")
4.8 - 6.8
533.07 °R 301.15 K
542.07 °R23 -28 °C (73.4-82.4°F)
- Silver Pacu, Pirapitinga, Red Pacu, Red-bellied Pacu, Red Belly Pacu
- Colossoma brachypomum, Piaractus brachypomum
- The dorsal fin on the male is more pointed than the female and the anal fin on the male has a toothed edge.
- An exceptionally large fish, will co-exist with other peaceful tank busters and large peaceful fish such as Silver Dollars. Do not keep with small fish.
- Omnivorous, feed a primarily vegetarian diet with foods such as vegetarian pellets and blanched vegetables.
- Once or twice a day.
- Needs a very large tank as this fish is classed as a "tank buster". Open swimming space and excellent filtration is a must.
- Peaceful fish which will generally not bother other tank mates.
- Very large and rounded fish, eyes and mouth appearing small for the rest of the body once mature. Has some visible teeth despite its vegetarian diet. The colour is grey in base colour with a red belly, giving it its common names. The pectoral, anal and pelvic fins also have red colouration. It has a very small adipose fin and the body may have irregular dark grey-black spots.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )