Royal Pleco (Panaque nigrolineatus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
208 Litres (55 US G.)
30.5-35.6cm (12-14 ")
6.5 - 7.5
303.15 K22 -30 °C (71.6-86°F)
- Royal Pleco, L190, Royal Panaque, Black-lined Panaque, Royal Plec
Additional scientific names
- Chaetostomus nigrolineatus, Cochliodon nigrolineatus
| This section requires expansion with:
Location where this animal is found in the wild.
- Difficult to sex. It is possible that it is similar to other Ancistrus plecos, the genital papilla of the female is round and blunt, that of the male by comparison is smaller and pointed. It is not known at what size this method of sexing can be used on Royal Plecos.
- This fish will be territorial towards other Plecos but peaceful towards other fish.
- A primarily vegetarian fish which will take most prepared algae wafers as well as blanched vegetables, it will graze some algae and bogwood also. May also occasionally nibble brine shrimp and daphnia.
- Feed once or twice a day, primarily fresh greens only supplemented with prepared foods.
- The Royal Pleco needs a spacious tank with good filtration. Hiding places within bogwood is essential, bogwood is a vital part of this fish's diet. All décor should be secure as this fish can and will rearrange things and collapse of large décor can cause problems.
- A shy fish that won't often be out and about.
- A striking Pleco, this fish has a dusky yellow or grey base colour with many horizontal dark brown bands running from the nose to the caudal fin. The bands can vary in thickness. The eyes of this fish vary from a deep orange to bright red.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )