Ornate Horned Frog (Ceratophrys ornata)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Pac-Man Frog)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Ornate Horned Frog
7.0 - 8.0
- Ornate Horned Frog, Pac-Man Frog, Argentine Horned Frog
- Females usually have a more rounded body shape and larger than males. The easiest way to determine the sex of the Horned Frog is by listening. Males frog will call during the mating season. There is also another way by comparing the shape of their noses. Female nose tended to be out and is more triangular. While for males the noise from the nostrils down is more flat.
- These are highly predatory amphibians and are cannibals. They are best kept alone.
- They eat invertebrates such as crickets, locusts, waxworms, superworms, earthworms and roaches. Other foods including pinkies and feeder fish can be fed as a treat as the frog grows larger. Feeder Goldfish should be avoided as they are very fatty.
- Feed once a day.
- These are not aquatic amphibians and are not good swimmers, a bowl of water does need to be provided for them at all times in their enclosure but it must be no deeper than their body and replaced every day. They require a thick layer of bark chips or similar sphagnum moss, which can be sprayed to increase then relative humidity.
- Horned frogs spends much of their time buried in the substrate of their vivarium. They will use their water bowl as a toilet as well as a place to rehydrate.
- How to id the animal.