Paper Shell Crayfish (Orconectes immunis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
6.5 - 8.0
This animal is available captive bred
- Paper Shell Crayfish, Soft Shell Crayfish, Calico Crayfish
- Maine and Connecticut in the east to Colorado and Wyoming in the west, and from Alabama in the south to Canada in the north. In Canada, it has been recorded from Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec although the populations in Quebec may be the result of introductions by anglers from New York; the Canadian populations are centerd in southern Ontario. It is believed to have been introduced to a number of states in New England, including Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
- Females have wider pleopods to hold eggs
- Omnivorous; will scavenge, and eats worms, and insects inhabiting the substrate
- Planted tank
- Mixes well
- A close relation of Orconectes limosus.
- This crayfish is the preferred food of Trout, Sunfish, and other gamefishes. This is good also in a pond.