Nifurpirinol is a anti-bacteria treatment that will destroy gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria (including nitifying bacteria).
This drug is a nitrofuran antibiotic that is the active ingredient in many commercial preparations designed for use in the aquarium.
It is stable in saltwater and rapidly absorbed by fish. However Nifurpirinol is photosensitive and needs to be applied in a darkened tank.
- JBL Furanol contains this active ingredient.
- Aquarium Muenster aquafuran contains this active ingredient.
If used in a tank with a filter, re-seeding with nitrifying bacteria will be required or remove the filter during the treatment.
- Not harmful to aquatic plants.
- 5 mg per 30 Litres (7.9 US G.) is recommended.
- Provide adequate aeration.