Zebra Nerite Snail (Nerita natalensis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Zebra Nerite Snail
1 - 1.025
7.2 - 8.5
- Zebra Nerite Snail, Tiger Nerite Snail, Batik Nerite Snail
- A-Sexual or Hermaphroditic. (Able to reproduce alone)
- Will not reproduce in freshwater, brackish only, but will make lots of small white eggs on roots and stones.
- A peaceful snail, will not bother tank inhabitants. However, should not be kept with aggressive fish that may attack it such as Loaches or Pufferfish.
- This snail is a great algae eater. Generally will not touch plants and will eat most types of algae. If no algae is present the snail will have to be supplemented with blanched vegetables and algae wafers.
- Will constantly graze in its environment.
- Needs a spacious well oxygenated tank with plenty of algae to eat. If put in a new tank with no algae present and not supplemented, it can starve. A tight fitting lid is a must, as these snails can be escape artists.
- An attractive snail that will not multiply. They may lay eggs, but they will not hatch. Young need brackish, or saltwater to be successfully reared because the larvae need the saltwater's minerals to build up their shells; for that reason, you will have the most success rearing it in full-blown saltwater, and adults can thrive in brackish, and saltwater.
- A pretty rounded shell with a deep yellow base colour and dark brown stripes running down it towards the spire.