Longspine Urchin (Diadema setosum)
From The Aquarium Wiki
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
208,197.648 mL 208.2 Litres (55 US G.)
25.4 cm 20.3-25.4cm (8-10 ")
1.020 - 1.025
8.1 - 8.4
531.67 °R 298.706 K
537.67 °R22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
- Longspine Urchin, Black Longspine Urchin
- Due to this Urchin's excellent defences, it is an excellent algae-controller in a tank with semi-aggressive or aggressive fish.
- This is a herbivorous Urchin and will graze on algae and phytoplankton. It can be supplemented with dry seaweed.
- How often to feed, etc.
- It is sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications and it will not tolerate high nitrate levels. It requires ample hiding places which must be secure as this Urchin can dislodge loose live rock.
- A primarily nocturnal creature with excellent defences against predators. When approached by a fish, these urchins will sense their presence, and will defend itself by directing its spines towards its offender.
- How to id the animal.