Glowlight Tetra (Hemigrammus erythrozonus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
57 Litres (15 US G.)
2.5-5.1cm (1-2 ")
5.8 - 7.5
300.928 K23.3-27.8°C (74 -82 °F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Glowlight Tetra, Glo lights, Glo-light Tetras, Glolight, Fire Neon, Glo-Lite Tetra
- South America: Essequibo River.
- Like most tetras, females are larger and more fat bodied than the more slender male. It may be hard to tell male from female until the fish are fully mature and females fill with eggs.
- The Glowlight Tetra can be kept with fish with long fins such as Betta splendens as they are not generally fin nippers as they are one of the more peaceful Tetras. It is not recommended they be kept with anything larger than a Blue Gourami, but successful attempts have been recorded. Glowlight Tetras are peaceful and shoaling fish that should be kept in groups of 6 or more, in groups less than 6 they may become shy and may even turn to fin nipping. It is slightly larger than the Neon Tetra, and its peaceful disposition makes it an ideal and popular community fish. They should be kept with similar sized and non-aggressive species.
- Glowlights are omnivorous and in the aquarium are not fussy about what they eat. They'll eat small live, frozen, dry foods and flake foods.
- Feed once or twice a day. They are reluctant to eat food that falls on the substrate however. So feed only a little at a time to ensure they will not missing any food falling to the floor.
- The Glowlight Tetra is a small tropical fish found in the wild in the Essequibo River, Guyana, South America. It appreciates a spacious tank with subdued lighting, some hiding places are recommended as well as open swimming space to shoal.
- Good community fish, easy to keep and breed. Will closely school when stressed, then like all Tetras will disperse when relaxed. Tend to keep low to mid-water in the aquarium.
- It is silver in colour and a bright iridescent orange to red stripe extends from the snout to the base of its tail. The front part of the dorsal fins are the same colour as the stripe. Other fins are silver to transparent.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )