Banded Puffer (Colomesus psittacus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
1.010 - 1.020
7.0 - 8.3
This animal is available captive bred
- Banded Puffer, Parrot Puffer
Additional scientific names
- Tetrodon psittacus
- Found in the Western Atlantic from the Gulf of Paria to the Amazon River in Brazil.
- It is not possible to visually sex this fish.
- Is most often found alone or in groups of 2-3 of their own kind, never larger groups. A generally peaceful puffer.
- Feeds mainly on molluscs.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Needs a very large and matured tank.
- A generally peaceful puffer.
- Often confused with the closely related Amazon Puffer, which it arrives in mixed shipments of. The Amazon Puffer is pure freshwater, while the Banded Puffer is brackish. The Amazon Puffer has more irregular banding, while the Banded Puffer has more consistent banding. The most reliable way is that the Banded Puffer lacks the patch on the caudal peduncle the Amazon Puffer has.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )