Flame Angel (Centropyge loricula)
1.020 - 1.025
8.0 - 8.5
- Flame Angel, Dwarf Flame Angel, Flame Angelfish
Additional scientific names
- Centropyge loriculus
- Pacific Ocean; mainly tropical water.
- Males are larger and brighter in colour.
- A relatively peaceful fish suitable for peaceful communities and is considered reef safe, although may nip at stony corals, zoanthids and some clams. Best kept either singly or in pairs however. Two males are not advised and should not be kept with similar-looking fish.
- The Flame Angel prefers a varied diet of spirulina and marine algae as well as mysid shrimp and other prepared meaty foods.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Prefers a spacious tank with plenty of live rock and hiding places. Needs an SG of 1.020 - 1.023.
- Generally peaceful towards tank mates, but may be territorial to new additions, other Flame Angels or similar looking fish.
- This fish has a vivid oval-shaped orange body and fins. The anal and dorsal are tipped with vivid blue and the flanks are striped with vertical black bars.
The flame angelfish commonly sold come from Christmas/Marshall islands. There is a deep sea variety actually native to Hawai'i, which is rare due to its deep sea habitat. The hawai'ian variety is redder than the other variety.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )