Red Eye Puffer (Carinotetraodon irrubesco)
From The Aquarium Wiki
6.0 - 7.8
- Red Eye Puffer, Crested Puffer
- Asia: currently known only from the lower parts of the Banjuasin basin in Sumatra Selatan; and the Sambas river in Kalimantan Barat.
- The male is substantially larger than the female and they have very different colour patterns. The female has a mottled body whereas the males body is a more solid steel grey/olive. The male has a ridge along it's back that's raised during courtship.
- Although one of the more peaceful of the freshwater puffers, it may still nip at other fishes fins and will be aggressive towards invertebrates. Whether a Red Eye will live with others can depend on the individual fish.
- Will like meaty foods including bloodworm, brine shrimp, and small snails.
- A nocturnal hunter, will tend to eat more and be more active after dark.
- A very messy fish, preferably needs over-filtration. A well planted tank with lots of hiding places is best. This is an entirely freshwater fish, it does not need salt in it's water.
- Behaviour varies greatly with this little fish. Sometimes the individual will be timid, sometimes it will attack everything in sight!
- As its common name suggests, this fish has bright red eyes. The males and females differ in colour, see Sexing.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )