Bony Snouted Gudgeon (Butis butis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
|This page requires additional images.|
Click here for details about uploading pictures to The Aquarium Wiki.
Bony Snouted Gudgeon
94,635.295 mL 94.6 Litres (25 US G.)
5.906 in 12-15 cm (4.7-5.9")
1 - 1.025
7.0 - 8.0
531.27 °R 301.15 K
542.07 °R22 -28 °C (71.6-82.4°F)
- Bony Snouted Gudgeon, Duckbill Sleeper, Crazy Fish, Crocodile Fish, Upside Down Sleeper, Crimson-Tipped Gudgeon, Crimson-Tipped Flathead Gudgeon, Pointed-Head Gudgeon, Flat-Headed Gudgeon
- Cheilodipterus butis, Eleotris butis, Eleotris amboinensis, Eleotris melanopterus, Elestris butis
- It is difficult to visually sex this fish.
- This fish should not be kept with smaller fish as they will be eaten. Will be generally peaceful towards larger fish but maybe aggressive and territorial to fish with similar habits.
- A carnivorous fish preferring shrimp, bloodworm, brine shrimp and may also be weened onto pellets and flake.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- This fish prefers a brackish environment with plenty of tall plants combined with some open swimming space. It can be adapted to both marine and freshwater conditions.
- A curious fish in that it will hunt and swim upside down, it is generally quite inactive however.
- This fish well get darker and lighter depending on their environment. They are elongated fish which generally have a wide black lateral band from nose to caudal peduncle, bordered by lighter bands. The eyes are set high on the top of the head and the mouth is wide.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )