Bigmouth Buffalo (Ictiobus cyprinellus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
|This page requires additional images.|
Click here for details about uploading pictures to The Aquarium Wiki.
1,703,435.301 mL 1703.4 Litres (450 US G.)
48.425 in 120-123 cm (47.2-48.4")
7.0 - 7.5
514.67 °R 291.483 K
524.67 °R12.8-18.3°C (55 -65 °F)
- Gourdhead, Redmouth Buffalo, Common Buffalo, Bigmouth Buffalo, Brown Buffalo
- Males will display breeding tubercles on the head, scales and fin rays during spawning season.
- Carnivorous large fish, not ideal of aquariums outside of public aquaria.
- Eats live food such as crustaceans and worms, digs through the mud in shallow rivers to find food.
- The fish comes from rivers and lakes in North America. It is quite hardy and is found in most parts of the rivers and lakes, feeds in the shallower parts.
- Large fish that doesn't strictly shoal, found in shallow water to feed, often with it's tail out of water. Is sought after to people who fish as they do grow to such large sizes, and even can be speared in the shallow waters. Can be eaten, but quite bony.
- Olive brown in colour, long dorsal fin, the largest of the Buffalo fish.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )