Zebra Loach (Botia striata)
From The Aquarium Wiki
6.0 - 8.0
- Zebra Loach, Tiger Loach, Lined Loach, Candystripe Loach
Additional scientific names
- Botia striatus, Botia striata kolhapurensis
- Endemic to Western Ghats and Maharashtra in India.
- Unable to determine visually, although the females develop very large abdomens before spawning
- Bottom dwelling fish that is very peaceful. Will get along with most types of fish. Not to be put in a tank with aggressive fish nor with very shy fish that may be bothered by this fish's boisterous behaviour. Will eat snails.
- Eats Crustaceans and small insects and worms. Should accept flake and other dried sinking catfish food. Eats frozen food like small worms and bloodworms. Is very effective in snail removal if not fed directly.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Most substrates are acceptable, but sand or small gravel is preferred. Hiding places are required.
- Very active by day for a Loach. Generally peaceful but will bother shy fish. Spawning is a group activity over gravel and is usually very boisterous, smooth substrate should be provided to avoid damage to the fish during this process.
- This fish has an orange body with several sets of thin black vertical bands and a bristled mouth/nose. Not to be mistaken for Botia rostrata.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )