Banded Headstander (Laemolyta taeniata)
From The Aquarium Wiki
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
208,197.648 mL 208.2 Litres (55 US G.)
25.4 cm 22.9-25.4cm (9-10 ")
6.0 - 7.2
533.67 °R 300.928 K
541.67 °R23.3-27.8°C (74 -82 °F)
- Banded Headstander, Striped Headstander
- Anostomus taeniata, Anostomus taeniatus, Schizodon taeniatus
- It is difficult to visually sex this fish. Mature females may appear more plump than males.
- A large fish that does well in groups of at least 6 of its own kind. It can be kept with similar-sized robust yet relatively peaceful fish such as larger Pleco species and Cichlids such as Uaru or Festivums.
- An omnivorous fish that will accept both meaty foods like bloodworm as well as vegetable based foods, prefers a more vegetarian diet.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Requires a large and well filtered tank. Prefers a sandy substrate with driftwood décor and some rocks, to imitate their natural biotope which would be predominantly flooded South American forests. They will eat soft-leaved plants. They also require a secure lid as they are good jumpers.
- A generally peaceful and loosely-shoaling fish.
- A large growing torpedo-shaped fish with colouration similar to that of the Siamese Algae Eater, although Striped Headstanders have a forward pointing mouth, unlike the underslung mouth of an algae-grazing SAE.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )